The railway viaduct was built in 1892 as part of the extension of the Westport line to Achill Sound. Newport
was the first station on this extension, opening in February 1894, followed by Mulranny in August of the same year. The line to Achill was completed in May 1895.
The line was a great social and economic asset to West Mayo but the usage never consistently reached the levels originally anticipated and the development of roads in the 1930's sealed the fate of the line.
The last train ran in the Autumn of 1937, a mere 42 years after the line had opened. Today, the line between Westport and Achill, with its many fine engineering structures, gentle gradients and breath-taking scenery has been given a new lease of life as the Great Western Greenway
, a dedicated 42km off-road walking and cycling amenity.
Aerial Shot of the Railway Viaduct